CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 17, 2008

Ongoing conversation with God 080317/sa

Last week I was talking to God. He has worked with me for years trying to get me to understand how utterly huge He is and how complex He is. He tells me affectionately that I have a "pea brain" (which I do) and that I cannot conceive how big He is, but that He appreciates my quest to discover.

Its one of those conversations you have with God over a long period of time...I think this one started when I moved back to New Mexico from Dallas. I was driving and I asked God what I thought was a simple question...I had no idea we’d still be discussing it eight years later...“God, why did you move me back here?” And He answered, “To show you how big I am.” I asked, “Couldn’t you show me that anywhere? Somewhere else?” He said, “You will have to see it.”

That day, I realized that when in Dallas, my God horizon was limited...like viewing the sky through a scope \_/. As I drove, I realized that my God horizon–my view of God–had increased, because my view of the sky was now unobstructed, spanning from the flat horizon on my right up, over, and all the way to my left: ——. As my view of the sky had increased, my perspective of God had increased from 60° to 180°.

This conversation ebbs and flows, but it seems the topic continues to be one of our on-going conversations. Occasionally, without warning He knocks my socks off by doing or showing me something totally amazing, and other times it is quiet and subtle...but each time, a small still voice speaks and I hear, “You didn’t miss that did you?”

I used to look for these situations, but have found that discovering God as He reveals Himself is so much more entertaining for me.

Anyway, back to last week. I’d been to the market again and purchased more vegetables to take pictures of...yes, I know, Rick said not to do that anymore, but they were just so cute! As I’d walked through the market, I was overwhelmed by the sights, the sounds, the smells–everything so new and different than anything I’d experienced before. As I stood at the sink polishing my veggies for their photo debut, I began to thank God for all the differences He created, for all the diversity–the foods, the flowers, the sights, the people, the smells, the languages, the history, the mountians, the valleys, the sun, the rain...can you imagine a God who would create a whole language for only sixteen million people...and that’s just Dutch. I’m sure there are whole languages for far fewer when you start looking at tribes in Africa, etc. There is not enough time to thank Him, not enough time to praise Him for who He is–all He's done. Any attempt that I make seems so little, so insignificant, and yet, He sees me. He acknowleges me. He appreciates my feeble attempts. Tears welled in my eyes and I said, “God you are SO BIG!”

As this feeling floods my soul, I realize how very involved and invested God is in each of us...as a community and as individuals. God truly desires to delight us! As I stood there delighted by all I’d discovered on my market trip and this deeper understanding of the biggness of God, He said, “You ain’t seen nothing yet, Little Lady [in His best John Wayne impression]...just wait til you see what I got in store for you next!" In all eternity, we will only scratch the surface, just as in this life we only get a small taste of all that He is.

John 14:2b: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

1 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow and wow....I get it. :)